Sunday 13 July 2014

No Longer Afraid of the Big Golden Snail - L'Escargot Montorgueil - Paris, France

I cannot tell you how many times I have walked past this restaurant, yes the one on Rue Montorgueil with the giant golden snail on top. I'm sure you have all done the same, curious to go in yet assuming it is just another tourist trap. Well.. I finally did it, I went there for dinner.

After an evening of shopping, tired and hungry I ended up outside this establishment and thought "what the hey, let's try it once and for all".

I didn't expect the interior to be so lovely. Warm inviting and very french, I now had high hopes for our meal. 
The restaurant was packed at this hour though we didn't have a reservation, the staff worked quickly to find us a table. 
On the short walk to our table I could smell the aromas of food around me, they were all so tantalizing!
 I could not wait to eat!

Traditional snails - Burgundy style snails in garlic parsley butter €12

For a restaurant specializing in snails, we ordered a few different types.

Burgundy truffle snails - Snails in truffle butter topped with truffle shavings €18

Though the snails were tasty, I prefer mine with a little excess butter. I like to dip my bread into the left over juices after polishing off my snails, sadly I didn't get to do that this time.

Gueusaille de kouikette - Potatoes with petite gris snails and lautrec pink garlic cream €18

I have never had snails this way before, but I am glad I have now cause this dish was simple and delicious. You can't go wrong with potatoes and garlic cream!

Squid in ink - Squid cooked catalane style 11

This dish was a cold dish and was probably my least favourite, I would have preferred  this if it was warm. Not really a fan of cold squid.

Frogs legs meuniere aurore escoffier style - Frogs legs cooked in hazelnut butter and fried parsley 16

These were lovely and I know they taste just like chicken but one was enough for me. No matter how many times I eat frogs legs, I just cant get past that mental image of slimey green frogs skin. 

Venerated onion soup gratineé des halles - Onion soup with grated gruyere cheese and toasted croutons - 14

Though the soup was tasty I found it a little heavy and the soggy bread was quite unpleasant.

Spinach, pork, foie gras and pine kernel pasqualine pie with sweet and sour mushroom pickles 12

Wow! What a pie. This is one of the best pies I have had in my time, it had so much flavour and the pastry was light and flakey. I will be going back for this!

Grilled Chicken "cour d'armoise" with potato and herb puree €24

Another winner dish! Really flavoursome, tender and juicy chicken. The potato and herb puree was a little heavy on the garlic but it was still enjoyable.

I was really suprised how good the food was. If it was a tourist restaurant, it's the best tourist restaurant I've been to. Give it a go, don't be afraid of the giant golden snail.

Apologies for my terrible iphone photos.

Check them out [MAP]


Betty Jane x










No comments:

Post a Comment